Linton in Kent is a small, possibly the smallest village in kent, which
straggles along the A229 on the south facing hill between
Staplehurst and Maidstone . The village provided labour to the
quarry which is to be found in nearby Boughton Monchelsea , but
has grown up from the 1700's to provide living quarters to the
workers from Linton Place.
Linton is first mentioned in the 1200's with the manor being part
of East Farleigh. The church was rebuilt in 1280 and extended
during the reign of Edward III.
The village is mentioned in 1314 when the village patronage was
given to a hospital for travellers in the West borough of
Maidstone by Archbishop Walter Reynolds . The local Bull Inn
was built in the 15th century as a watering point for travellers.
In 1381 during the Kentish Rebellion the rebels of Wat Tyler marched
through Linton to the way to Maidstone gaol, to release their
collegues. The following year in September there was a small scale
repeat, with Linton and Maidstone being the targets, but this was
easily put down by the Crown.
Linton Place was purchased by the Mayne family during the late
1500's, they were a family from Biddenden made wealthy by the
Broadcloth industry. Their grandson Sir John Mayne took over,
and fought with the Cavaliers in the Battle of Maidstone in 1648.
The Roundheads ( Parliamentarians ) defeated the Cavaliers (Royalists)
and the Mayne family who had given up their wealth for the King had to
sell it to Sir Francis Withens, The Withens family held it for a short
time then sold it on to Sir Robert Mann in the early 1700's.
He rebuilt major parts of the building and estate, and his
family in turn held it until 1935. One of Sir Robert's
decendants married into the Cornwallis family, which is why
the Cornwallis family is recorded in the church. The church
was rebuilt by the Corwallis family in the late 1800's.
|The views down the hill across the weald of Kent are very
attractive, with many quarried stone houses lining the road.|
At the bottom of the hill, the land is flat but very fertile,
and provides good farming with hops and pastures being favourite.
|Linton in Kent has limited services, with only a public house and church
being available. The nearest local shops are at Coxheath about
2 miles away.|
The Hawkhurst to Maidstone bus stops in the village, and provides
a regular service.
The main shopping centre and train service can be found at
Maidstone about 4 miles north.
|Linton is shown as the red symbol on the map.|
(click on symbol to see the village page)
||(Miraculous vision)||1.14 miles|
||(Soldiers and Duels)||0.96 miles|
||(Centre of the Hop Industry)||5.47 miles|
||(King Johns Oak)||6.05 miles|
||(Broadcloth and Agriculture)||3.56 miles|
||(The First Victoria Cross)||6.16 miles|
||(Railway brings prosperity)||6.22 miles|
||(seized from Simon de Montfort)||3.75 miles|
||(longest medieval bridge in Kent)||3.51 miles|