Wilmington lies just south of the busy A27 Eastbourne to Lewes road.
The name is recorded in the Domesday Book as Wineltone .
The village has been occupied from pre Saxon times as burial barrows have
been found on the Downs above the village on windover hill.
Earl Godwin the father of Harold II (who was killed in 1066 by
William the Conqueror) owned all the land in this area, and Wilmington
is included in his holding.
In the late 1100's a Priory was built at Wilmington by the Abbot of
Grestein from Honfleur in France. The church was constructed slightly
later for the local peasants to use.
On the downs lies a figure of a man, he is 226ft high is cut in chalk and
outlined with white bricks. It is believed that he existed before the
Saxons , however no one has proof of his age, he is known as
' The Long Man of Wilmington '.
Wilmington has a few local services including a Public House/Restaurant
to provide nourishment to the visitors.
The major shopping centre of Eastbourne lies about 5 miles to the east
with Lewes about 8 miles west.
The A27 is close to the village, and trains can be caught at nearby Berwick .
Wilmington lies on the northern edge of the South Downs along with a
number of other villages just south of the main A27 Eastbourne to Lewes
The church and some of the Priory still exist and within the churchyard
sits an old Yew tree which is felt to be over 2000 years old. Its age
is starting to show, as it needs wooden poles to hold its branches up.
The major attraction of the village is 'The Long Man' a chalk figure which
sits on the downs above the village, this is accessible by parking in
the Car Park near the church and walking up the hill.