|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Anne Boleyn and Pashley Manor)
Ticehurst lies between Hawkhurst and Wadhurst on the
B2100. The name Ticehurst comes from the Anglo Saxon Tice
meaning kids(goats), and hurst a thick wood.
The first mention of the area was in 1018, when
King Cnut granted the lands of Haeselerc (now
known as Hazelhurst, a part of the Parish of
Ticehurst ) to the Archbishop of Canterbury.
In 1086 the Domesday book mentions that
Haslesse(Hazelhurst) was owned by Walter
Fitz-Lambert lord of Crowhurst. His grandson
Lambert de Scoteni was known to have been owner
of Scotney Castle at Lamberhurst in 1137.
An 1197 document from the Priory of Hastings shows
that the churches at Crowhurst and Ticehurst were
controlled by the Priory.
In 1292 the de Passele family built a moated manor,
which is now known as Pashley manor. They held the
manor until 1453 when the Bullen family from Norfolk
purchased it. The Bullen family later to be the Boleyn
family held the manor until their fall from grace after
Anne was executed in 1536, when the manor was bought
by Sir Thomas May who constructed the present manor.
It is believed that Anne Boleyn stayed here during her
The Priory held the lands until the dissolution in
1538, when the lands were transferred to Sir John
Baker of Sissinghurst by Henry VIII. Three years
later it seems that the King changed his mind and
gave the land to the Dean and Chapter of
Canterbury, who held it till the 1930's.
The village has a number of old manor houses one of
which, Pashley Manor on the Hurst Green road, has the
most magnificent gardens, and is open to the public.
Finally the chuch has a very interesting collection
of hand embroidered kneeling bolsters, showing
village life and other subjects.
| Ticehurst has a small centre with a number of
local shops, a frequent bus service does run through
the village from Hawkhurst to Tunbridge Wells .
The nearest large town is Tunbridge Wells about
10 miles West, the smaller town of Battle approx
9 miles South East, and Wadhurst approx 4 miles
West also provide services for the area.
| Ticehurst being on top of the hill has some fine
views, the best are looking down the Stonegate
road from the Southern church gate, and another
looking Southwards from the rear of the