Selmeston is a long straggling village running from the main
A27 down to the railway crossing about 1 mile to the north.
This is one of the few villages that has a priest mentioned against it
in the Domesday book of 1086 , and was owned by William de Cahanges.
In the 1100's the church was transferred to the Bishop of Chichester,
similar to many other villages in the area.
During the days of smuggling the churchyard was used as a temporary
store for smuggled goods from Europe . The goods were brought up the
Cuckmere into Alfriston where they were distributed throughout the area.
A tomb in Selmeston churchyard was used as a temporary store for the
contraband by the Alfriston Gang of smugglers, to secrete it from the Excise men .
Selmeston has a few services mostly near the main A27.
Busses regularly pass along the A27 and the trains can be
caught at nearby Glynde or Berwick .
Major town shopping services can be found at nearby
Lewes about 6 miles to the west.
Selmeston has a fine old church which is worth looking
To the south lies the wide vistas of the South Downs with
their walks and beautiful scenery.