|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Edward III and the Post Mill)
Nutley lies on the A22 London to Eastbourne main road.
A chapel was built here after the Norman invasion , by Richard de Aquila
one of William the Conquerors men. He granted 60 acres of land on
the Ashdown Forest near Wych Cross to the chapel . The chapel was attached
to the church at Maresfield .
In 1372 the Chapel of Notlye and its land was given by Edward III to
his son John of Gaunt , both of whom were frequent visitors to
Ashdown Forest for the hunting (see Forest Row and Colemans Hatch ).
The people of the area provided goods from the Forest, and generally
lived in wooden shelters. There was a proportion of poachers , smugglers
and Horse thieves within the area.
1721 brought excitement to the village when Gabriel Tomkins the leader
of the Mayfield Gang was arrested in the village after being chased
The current church was completed and consecrated in 1847 , when the
parish became independant from Maresfield .
In the First and Second World Wars , Canadian troops were billetted
near the village. During the Second World War a Wellington bomber
returning from a raid over Germany crashed nearby killing the crew.
And in 1944 a stick of bombs from a German plane landed in the village
1944 causing a small amount of damage.
A post mill is located on the hill north of the village. The mill was
thought to have been brought from Goudhurst around 1840 and ceased to
grind corn in 1908. It was left to decay until 1975 when the
Uckfield and District Preservation Society
renovated the mill, which was completed in 1981.
| Nutley is a small village with the usual small village services, small
shops, public houses and a church.
The nearest main shopping centre is at Uckfield about 4 miles to the
south east, or East Grinstead about 6 miles to the north west.
| Nutley is a small village within the Ashdown Forest, and has surrounding
it the full stark beauty of the Forest, which can be accessed all around.
The Post Mill which has been restored by the
Uckfield and District Preservation Society is well worth a visit,
although you will need to visit their web site to find the opening times.