|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Prime Ministers D Day inspection)
Northiam has a picturesque green, surrounded by an
abundance of old buildings. There is an ornate pump
which supplied water to the village until 1907.
In 1573 Good Queen Bess was reputed to have taken
refreshment here while on a journey to Rye .
The parish church dates from the 12th century, and
stands on one of the highest points in the village.
Only the west wall, and the lower part of the tower
remain of the original building, however there are
very few examples of this type of octagonal stone
spire to be found in Sussex.
In 1944, four Prime Ministers, including Winston
Churchill, met on the playing fields opposite the
Crown and Thistle public house, to inspect the
troops prior to D-Day. Their names are inscribed
on the gates which were erected to commemorate
The Northiam area has a wealth of fine old houses,
but the most famous is the timber-framed Great Dixter,
originally built in 1450 . It was bought by Nathaniel
LLoyd in 1910, and later restored by Sir Edward Lutyens.
Lutyens also laid out the garden, which has become one
of the top showgardens in the South. The house and
gardens are open to the public from April to October.
In contrast to Great Dixter is Smuggler's cottage,
reputed to be the smallest house in Sussex. It is
located on the main road.
The Steam railway station is about one and a half
miles from the village, and is run by the Kent and
East Sussex Railway, which operates from nearby
Tenterden . The station was refurbished with the
help of the popular BBC Television series 'Challenge
Anneka' in 1989. Recently a grant from the National
Lottery is allowing an extension of the line to Bodiam .
| There is a frequent bus service through the village
from Tenterden to Hastings.
The trains can be caught in Battle about 8 miles
south east, or Robertsbridge about 8 miles west.
The nearest shopping is in Tenterden about 7 miles
to the north.
The nearest large town is Hastings, about 13 miles