|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Landing place of the citizens)
Our area of Bulverhythe also includes the manors of Filsham
and Pebsham originally Petit Ihamme which is mentioned in the Cinque Ports Charter.
Bulverhythe was a manor near Crowhurst and was the harbour for the
burgh of Hastings and a haven for fishermen before the land rose
and the water left the valley.
The area was used by the Romans to ship iron products from the bloomeries
near Beauport to the port at Hastings.
Bulverhythe is originally an Anglo Saxon name Burgh wara hythe
meaning the harbour of the people who live in the burgh(fortification)
this is a burgh recorded by Alfred the Great as a defense against the
Vikings . There is some evidence that William the Conqueror and his
troops landed in this area, although it is possible that they landed
further to the west near Hooe or possibly even Pevensey .
In 1310 the Lord of the manor John de Bretagne was granted a weekly market
and an annual fair by King Edward II.
In 1359 a reference to Bulverhythe as a limb of the Cinque Ports is found
in a document by Edward III , in which the manor was mentioned as supplying
one ship together with Petit Ihamme (originally Pyppels Ham and now Pebsham ).
The area was also used to execute felons within the Cinque Ports , the
criminals were drowned in a local watercourse called Stordisdale.
The area was very marshy, and a ferry is mentioned in 1335. The chapel of
St Mary is described as having a causeway which linking it to Hastings in
Bulverhythe was important as an export port for the Wealden iron industry
until the late 1700's, probably shipping the cannons and iron goods from
the Ashburnham forge and foundry .
On 14th january 1748 the Dutch East Indiaman the Amsterdam ran ashore
about 1/2 mile from Bulverhythe. The ship was a new ship of about 700
tons armed with 52 guns and with an original crew of 333 men. The
ship was on its way from Amsterdam to Batavia with a cargo of silver,
and had taken 2 months to get from Amsterdam to Beachy Head, where she
had lost her rudder and all control. The crew had lost about 100 men to
sickness in this time. In recent times the wreck has been thoroughly
excavated during the 1980's.
One of the great Martello Towers was built at Bulverhythe in the 1800's
as a defense against Napoleon . The first gunner was in place in March
1806, and was a scottish gunner who had been invalided from the army in
In 1823 annual horse races were established at Bulverhythe Salts, the same area
in 1841 was the termination point for the Brighton to Hastings main line
railway service. The railway was continued to St Leonards in 1846.