Framfield in East Sussex in the South East of England lies in the
inland hills of the county.
It is though that Celtic settlers then the Romans settled in Framfield
as there are many bloomeries nearby, together with the Weald Way ,
the ancient route across Sussex.
A wooden church was built here after 680AD and probably before 838AD
when King Egbert gave the parish to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The
parishes given to the Archbishop were known as peculiars.
The current church was started about 1288AD, but in 1509AD a fire
burned out all the wooden parts of the church, some repairs were
carried out but until 1891 the tower remained in ruin. The then
High Sheriff of Sussex Robert Thornton had the tower rebuilt to its
In the church is a brass of Sir Edward Gage ( son of Sir John Gage of Firle )
the Sheriff of Sussex, who in 1556 had the dubious honour of supervising the
burning at the stake of the Lewes martyrs .
The churchyard contains two more examples of the work of
Jonathan Harmer from Heathfield , who in the early 1800's produced
gravestones with terracotta plaques inset into them.
Framfield is a small village with a few local services, shops and
The nearest ,main shopping centre is at Uckfield a few miles to the west.
Framfield has one of the prettiest church entrances in the area with
a row of medieval houses leading down to the lychgate then into the
churchyard the only thing to mar this view are the rows of cars in