|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(300 local people beheaded)
Flimwell lies right on the Kent and Sussex borders,
where the A268 crosses the A21 London to Hastings road.
In 1264, King Henry III and his army stopped at
Flimwell on their way to the Battle of Lewes. During
an argument, he learnt that some local men, who
were siding with the Barons, had killed his cook.
In retribution, the Royal army gathered 300 local
people together in a field in the village, and
cut their heads off. This area is now know as
Yellowcoat wood, 300 people would have been most
of the population for a few miles.
More recently in 1944 a V1 doodlebug exploded near
the school, which was destroyed, the children being
sent to Ticehurst for their schooling. The old school
laid derelict until 1980, when it was converted into
From Flimwell crossroads, take the Hawkhurst road,
and just over the brow of the hill, on the right hand
side stands an outstanding group of houses, which
were part of a Victorian farm estate. They have steep
gables, Gothic windows, half timbering, and tile
hanging in the much older Sussex tradition.
Rising behind the cottages, on the brow of a hill,
is in contrast a sign of modern times - the lattice
tower and round receivers of a television relay and
The National Pinetum collection of pine trees, is
located on the Goudhurst road. It provides woodland
walks for many miles, as the forest spreads from
Flimwell to Hawkhurst in the east and towards Goudhurst
in the north.
Also a tributary of the Bewl Bridge resevoir, can be
seen if looking south west from the Dual Carriageway.
| Most of the original village services at Flimwell,
have now left, with the exception of the church.
The small town of Hawkhurst 3 miles East provides
much of the simple requirements, with Tunbridge
Wells about 12 miles North West providing the
The frequent Hawkhurst to Tunbridge Wells bus service
passes through the village East to West.
The nearest trains can be caught at the stations in
Etchingham about 4 miles south, or Stonegate , about
4 mile south west.