|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Charcoal and the Army)
Fairwarp lies just off the B2026 Maresfield to Hartfield road which
approximates the Roman Lewes to London Ermine street .
A Roman bloomery has been found in the area.
Fayre Wharp is mentioned in 1519 and the main occupation in the area,
being charcoal burning, providing the source of heat to melt the iron
produced at nearby Oldlands Farm. Also on the other side of the village
towards Nutley, cannons were finished off, with the centres being bored
at Boringwheel Mill farm.
From 1793 regiments from the army were stationed at nearby Duddleswell,
during the build up to the Napoleonic Wars .
The church was built in 1881 as the village became large enough to host
its own parish, prior to that the village was in the parish of Maresfield .
During the 1930's the radio station at Duddleswell was built to provide
long distance communication to the British Embassies and Forces overseas.
| Fairwarp has a public house but that's about it within the village.
The nearest main shops are at Crowborough about 4 miles to the
north east, providing quite a large range of shops.
The nearest trains run from Buxted about 4 miles south east.
| Fairwarp is in a valley on the Ashdown Forest, and has some very
pretty woodland and going up the hill to Duddleswell the full
splendour of the Ashdown Forest lies in front of you.