|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Earl Godwins Manor)
Denton lies just off the Newhaven to Eastbourne coastal road just outside
Seaford. It has a very pretty centre with its flint built church, manor
house and other buildings dating from the 1600's, this is surrounded
by many new developments.
Denton was on the course of a Secondary Roman road which travelled from
Newhaven over the downs via Alciston to the Lewes to Pevensey main Roman
The village was there in Saxon times with a charter for the church land
dating from 801AD. The Manor was held by Earl Godwin the father of
King Harold II who was killed at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 .
The village was a fishing village throughout the centuries with the sea
coming much further inland , the Sea Level has dropped and Denton now
lies inland .
There is no mention of Denton in the Domesday book , and it is likely
that it was destroyed by the Normans during the Saxon Rebellion of 1068 .
During the English Civil War, the parliamentary cavalry used the church
as stables, the church was re-consecrated after they left.
In 1784 the first toll bridge was built across the river Ouse to
Newhaven and the residents of Denton were allowed free passage, as they
had had free use of the ferry, probably as they helped run it.
Denton was the home of Ralph Reader, the boy scout leader who started and
ran the gang shows of the 50's and 60's .
| Denton is quite a large village, and has quite a few local services.
The nearest large shopping centre is at Newhaven about 3 miles to the
west. Nearby Seaford provides further services, and coastal resort
| The centre of Denton has some very pretty flint built buildings
including the church and the manor house.
All around lie the Downs, as the village lies in a valley, if you travel
up the hills the views are magnificent.