|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Stopping point between London and Lewes)
Danehill lies on the East Grinstead to Lewes road about 8 miles from
East Grinstead .
The first written evidence of the village comes from 1265 and the first
permanent houses from 1400.
By 1660 the Red Lion inn became a stopping point for travellers between
London and Lewes.
The road through Danehill became a turnpike in 1752, and the quality of
the road improved from the slow sticky sussex clay, due to the funding
provided by travellers. The roads in turn encouraged wealthy people to
move into the area, and John Baker Holroyd moved into Sheffield Park in
1769, he was later to become the First Lord Sheffield. This road was
one of the main routes from Brighton to London , until 1780 when the
now A23 was built which took the traffic away from the village.
The present church was consecrated in 1893 so is fairly modern and replaced
a chapel built in 1823 .
| The village is small with only a few local services.
The main shopping centre is at East Grinstead about 8 miles north or
Haywards Heath about 8 miles south west.
Trains run from both of the towns above with services into South London.